Sunday 9 September 2012

Massage therapy 07/09/12

Went to see the massage therapist on Friday after what felt like a pinched nerve in my pelvis on Monday during front squats. It was indeed a pinched nerve, and things like this will continue to come up if I don't change a few things.

1. My quads and ITB have poor muscle length and tone, so it's creating a lateral turnout of my feet
2. This means I shove some of the work of the quads off onto the outside of my hamstrings, which got too tight and pinched the nerve.
3. This means I should be stretching my quads and rolling on my ITB more (ouch)

During the actual appointment, he got stuck into my psoas first just to see that they weren't too tight, then tried to release the nerve by painfully massaging my hamstrings, glutes and quads. He then helped me out on another level by really going into my back, particularly my spinal erectors to try and get rid of the'jarred' feeling in my lower back. 

On Saturday it was still feeling dodgy, but after my workout it felt loose and almost no pain, then Sunday the pain was gone. The plan from here is to really stretch my quads at least 3x per week, and then add in more rolling on my hip flexors and ITB to really take the slack off my hamstrings. Sounds like a good plan to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment