Thursday 9 August 2012

Mobility update

A little while ago I mentioned that I wanted to improve my mobility to be functionally strong and powerful through a complete range of motion. So far it's going well, I'm into the habit of having a big foam rolling session on my legs and back each week, as well as a tennis ball session on my upper body. My left side tightness is down to a painless minimum, I feel like my new squat form is helping shore up my strength on both sides, and is also re-training my recruitment patterns to involve my posterior chain more.

I roll my hip flexors, then my adductors and abductors, then around my knee and my ITB (dear God). I realised the reason I can't do overhead squats without losing balance is because I have shocking thoracic extension, which essentially means I have poor upper back mobility and hence struggle to retract my scapula all the way. To fix this I've been foam rolling my back, as well as getting a tennis ball into my upper back, traps, and lats. I've also been loosening up my front delts and chest a lot to try and get some sort of antagonistic release. All the work seems to be paying off, as I already feel freer in my rotator cuff region.

I need to up my game and do more myofascial release to truly become a 'supple leopard', but I'm improving my habits slowly, and that's what matters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment