Tuesday 28 August 2012

A NEW PROGRAM

I'm a pretty big advocate of letting others take care of your training for you. Sometimes we lose sight of the forest for the trees and can no longer see what is actually good for us. I managed to convince a very clever guy to check out my current status and write me up a program to take me to that next level while I'm still in the midst of my cut. He's also thankfully advised me on what macronutrient levels are ideal at this stage and what to be eating. I'm very excited to leave my training in the lap of the gods in a sense and give up some control to keep progressing. Without further ado, here's the program:

Day 1

Bench x5-5-5-5-5+ {Press on alternating weeks}
Flyes 2x15-25 (each set to failure) {Lateral raises on alternating weeks}
Chin ups x max reps x 3 sets (sets across ie 3xBWx20)
Squats x5-5-5-5-5+
Curls 2x12-15

Day 2

Press x5-5-5-5-5+ {Bench on alternating weeks}
Power Clean - working up to heavy doubles
Deadlift x5+ (working up to a max set of 5+)
BB Row 4x8

Day 3

Bench x4-6 PR, 12-15 PR {Press on alternating weeks}
Chin ups 3x6-8
Squat x4-6 PR, 12-15 PR {Front squat on alternating weeks}
Curls 2x12-15

The next question is: What's with the x5-5-5-5-5+ rep scheme?

The concept is pretty straightforward. On either the first or second set (your choice) you're aiming to get a top set of 5 (close to your 5RM but not a PR), and the remaining sets are 10% below that, with the final set (5+) aiming to get to 8-10. So any exercise with the x5-5-5-5-5+ tag will look like this:

Squats:

Warm ups

90kgx5
100kgx5
90kgx5
90kgx5
90kgx5+ (aiming for 8-10)

Pretty simple right? I hope so, I'm very excited to try it out and see how I fair, the volume will make it a very intense program but I'm looking forward to that. The macros he's suggesting is 250g Protein/200g Carb/ 50g Fat. I'm quite close to that level as is but I will need to up my protein by about 50g a day to reach it. He's keen for me to continue to eat lean meats (tuna, chicken etc) and good carbs (potatoes, rice, oats), trying to minimise fat intake obviously and cutting down on poorer carbs like breads and sugars.


He's also suggested 3 days of conditioning, one long and one short. For the short day I'll be doing barbell complexes in an intense fashion, and it's yet to be seen what I'll do for the long day, I'll work it out though. 


LET'S DO THIS 

No comments:

Post a Comment