Monday 21 May 2012

Motivation Monday vi

I just finished watching Friday Night Lights, the TV series (which is now my favourite show ever, and if you get to see it, it will be yours too). The AV Club describes the show thusly:

'Coach Eric Taylor tries to lead a small-town football team to the state championship in a series we weep just thinking about.'

You see, Eric Taylor is a wonderful contradiction; he is a winner, but he believes in the process even more so than he does the result (much like former Brisbane Roar coach Ange Postecoglou). Do your best, and apply the process with that intrinsic effort, and that is what makes a winner. Success is a byproduct. Taylor's motto reflects this honourable take on competitive sport: 'Clear eyes, full hearts. Can't lose.' Because the loss is in the process, not the result.

Give what you can in the smartest and most courageous way possible, and the result is a moot point. That is the heart of today's motivation, and the reason I will put up two motivational quotes instead of one, in honour of Coach Eric Taylor and the town of Dillon, TX.

'If somebody beats me, its not because they outworked me.' - Layne Norton

'Full effort is full victory.' - Gandhi

2 comments:

  1. BUT WHAT ABOUT MATT SEEEEEERACEN???

    He's my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't mess around, Mitch do you actually watch FNL? If so, then you, Mitchell FNL Lover Rawlings are my new all-time hero, replacing Mitchell I-think-I'm-big Rawlings

    ReplyDelete